Adventurers.dk Forum

LEGO Adventurers & Indiana Jones Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: The new pirate theme...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:27 am 

I'm thinking about buying the sets from the new pirate line. Has anyone bought any of these sets? And if so, what do you think of them?

Post subject: Re: The new pirate theme...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:56 am 

They were ok. I've got the smaller sets. Don't have the ship or the fort. The figures are detailed and designed nicely and shooting cannons seem to be exciting to a lot of people (I had the old shooting ones, so they don't do much for me).

There's something about them that just makes them lack that certain magical quality. I don't know what it is though. Maybe my expectations were too high?

I liked the Island set. The baseplate is unusual and may be interesting to build a MOC on. The castaway was an interesting figure.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:19 pm 

Officially the line is not being released before March here in Denmark, allthough it's alredy possible to buy them at Shop at Home... :? I've found a shop, where I can get them 35-40% off, but not before March. But I'll probably get them then.

I did find the 8396 Soldier's Arsenal set today. So I grabbed some copies. It's really nice to be able to get soldier figs again. The old ones costs a fortune at BrickLink...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:43 pm 

I bought the 6240 Kraken Attackin' and 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty (as well as the new farm set), and now have a flotilla of three pirate ships (I have the 10040 and 6290 as well)... :D

The new ship is okay in my mind, although construction could be better in some places. Overall it certainly isn't as cool as the older Black Seas Barracuda. With just 592 pieces it's obvious that it lacks a bit of detail. It could definitely use some more cannons as well. The figs are really nice though. I like the female prisoner fig in particular. And the golden window panes are great too. I rate it around 7+/10.

The raft in 6240 is decent but not really special. Nice figs though.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:35 pm 

I finally got the Island and Fort sets as well. I don't have any of the older Forts, but modelwise they do seem more interesting than this model. Apart from 2 barrels this set has no interiors at all... It has a decent amount of accessories, but I wish there were more. I really don't like the one-piece palm tree. :( And using stickers rather that decorated pieces for the partly red brickwalls is a shame. What I do like about this set is the fact that it's of modular construction. It's built in 4 modules which use technic pins to connect in a similar way to the Cafe Corner. So you can move the modules around or build and add your own modules. The figs and the monkey are nice too (only set with the Govenor fig). Partwise it's nice, in particular you get several big blue and brown plates with the set, and overall it's a nice starting point if you wish to build your own fort.